This one for Grain Lovers, cooked wheat with Milk & Orange
Although everyone’s probably heard of whole wheat bread and whole wheat products, very few people have ever actually eaten boiled wheat berries– which are whole kernel wheat grains. Wheat berries are literally the whole edible wheat kernel, and they’re commonly known as the grains used to make whole wheat flour. They can be red or white in color and resemble short grain rice. Wheat berries are a fantastic fiber-rich addition to every meal from breakfast to dinner. They add a nice nutty bite and chewy texture to breakfast bowls and salads.
Why consuming such a dish? Because it’s a super nutritious dish! Since the grain is left whole, it isn’t stripped out of any nutrients, so they’re packed with fiber, protein, iron, and tons of vitamins and antioxidants. Nutrition overload!
Last but not least wheat can be cooked in many ways and can be associated with many things like sugar, dried fruits or various sweeteners. I stand with healthy version all the time so here what I’ve tried on my own… tastes amazing, smells delicious, generally looks an orange little thing.
- 150gr organic wheat berries
- 300ml water
- 250ml non fat milk
- chopped orange (use the zest too)
- raw crushed walnuts (as much as you want)
- ground cinnamon (as much as you want)
- 1tbsp ground cloves
- In a bowl with water let the wheat berries to stand for 2 hours. Than rinse the wheat berries under running water in a colander until the water runs clear. Start cooking.
- Put the wheat in a pot with water, ground cloves then cover and simmer until the wheat berries are softened. Remove from the heat, add the ground cinnamon and let it rest for a few hours.
- Add the milk and walnuts.
For serving: add zest and pieces of orange (as much as you want).
Passion for the kitchen combined with a background of architecture and a lifelong love of food has given the confidence to jump and get start cooking.
Since I come from a small town, I think I could be a very important detail of healthy daily recipes for people around the world, because small things are more fun and enjoyable… but being one of the people who bestows love on the world through healthy food recipes, I don’t think it’s easy but it’s certainly pleasure!