We know that staying active is one of the best ways to keep our bodies healthy. But did you know it can also improve your overall quality of life?
Physical activity simply means movement of the body that uses energy. Walking, gardening, briskly pushing a baby stroller, climbing the stairs, playing soccer, or dancing the night away are all good examples of being active. For health benefits, physical activity should be moderate or vigorous intensity.
How much of physical activity is recommended?
- Children and adolescents aged 5-17 years:
Should do at least 60 minutes of moderate to vigorous-intensity physical activity daily.
- Adults aged 18–64 years:
Should do at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity throughout the week, or do at least 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity physical activity throughout the week, or an equivalent combination of moderate- and vigorous-intensity activity.
- Adults aged 65 years and above:
Should do at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity throughout the week, or at least 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity physical activity throughout the week, or an equivalent combination of moderate- and vigorous-intensity activity.
Why is physical activity so important for health and wellbeing?
- reduce your risk of a heart attack
- manage your weight better
- have a lower blood cholesterol level
- lower the risk of type 2 diabetes and some cancers
- have lower blood pressure
- have stronger bones, muscles and joints and lower risk of developing osteoporosis
- lower your risk of falls
- recover better from periods of hospitalisation or bed rest
- feel better – with more energy, a better mood, feel more relaxed and sleep better.
All of this can add up to fewer medical expenses, interventions and medications later in life!
Here are just a few of the ways physical activity can help you feel better, look better and live better. Because, WHY NOT?
Passion for the kitchen combined with a background of architecture and a lifelong love of food has given the confidence to jump and get start cooking.
Since I come from a small town, I think I could be a very important detail of healthy daily recipes for people around the world, because small things are more fun and enjoyable… but being one of the people who bestows love on the world through healthy food recipes, I don’t think it’s easy but it’s certainly pleasure!